January 21, 2004

Leave Us Alone

Posted by shonk at 10:24 AM in Politics | TrackBack

Jonathan Wilde over that Catallarchy obviously wasn’t playing the State of the Union drinking game, but I, for one, am glad he didn’t. His message to politicians is simply outstanding (but be sure to read the whole post):

I don’t want your ‘strengthening of the economy’. You have screwed it up enough already.
I don’t want your ‘sanctity of marriage’. It’s not your business.
Quit trying to define everything as right or left. The world is not binary.
You don’t end poverty. You create it.
I don’t want your retirement plans. I know my unique circumstances best.
Consensus support does not signify ‘bipartisanship’. It is simply honor among thieves.
I don’t want your entangling alliances. They endanger rather than protect me.
I don’t want your education guidelines. My education is personal and lifelong.
Tonight was not a great ‘political event’. It was the very reason for eternal vigilance.
Government does not ‘create jobs’. It only takes them away from honest individuals.
I don’t want your ‘leadership’. Sovereign individuals are their own leaders.
Comments

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity..."
--Yeats' "The Second Coming"

Posted by: Curt at January 21, 2004 05:08 PM

Sorry, I just realized that, as Wilde's post was not exactly devoid of fire, my quotation could be construed as being directed at him. But of course it was directed at the same people at whom his words were, though certainly not only at them. I realize, however, that even at that the aforementioned fiery invective directed at politicians would seem to undermine the parallel with Yeats' apprehensions, but the fact remains that Wilde, or me, or anyone else disgusted with the demagogues and fanatics of the world are for practical purposes the weak and the undecided and they the passionate and the strong, because we brood and ponder and try to make our peace with our consciences, wheareas they do exactly as they desire without a second thought.

Posted by: Curt at January 21, 2004 05:22 PM

Ooh, deep.

Posted by: Andy Stedman at January 22, 2004 05:06 PM

Hey, quoting Yeats isn't been banned yet. Only scripture and Tocqueville have so far been forbidden from conscriptment in the pursuit of a point.

Posted by: Curt at January 22, 2004 10:03 PM

Actually, I was enamoured (that word just looks wrong with no 'u') of "[T]he fact remains that Wilde, or me, or anyone else disgusted with the demagogues and fanatics of the world are for practical purposes the weak and the undecided and they the passionate and the strong, because we brood and ponder and try to make our peace with our consciences, wheareas they do exactly as they desire without a second thought."

Posted by: Andy Stedman at January 23, 2004 12:23 AM

Yes, today on the other hand I am in a more stoic, which is to say less complaining mood, and I am inclined to not give a fuck who runs the world, since politics is a disease with which one is only afflicted if one hopes to get something out of it.

Posted by: Curt at January 23, 2004 09:34 PM